Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Horticultural Science and Agronomy, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Medicinal Plants and by Products Research Department, Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Agricultural Research, Education and Extension Organization (AREEO), Tehran, Iran
Department of Agronomy, Karaj Branch, Islamic Azad University, Karaj, Iran
Organic fertilizers and optimal density are known to alleviate the undesirable effects of biotic and abiotic stresses in plants. This research aimed to study the effect of density and organic fertilizers on the biochemical status of Bakhtiari savory (Satureja bachtiarica Bunge.) under dryland farming conditions. Hence an experiment was conducted as a split-plot based on a randomized complete block design with three replications at Homand rangeland research station of Damavand in crop years 2018-19. Organic fertilizer as the main factor was included three levels of cattle manure (30 t ha-1), enriched wheat straw (10 t ha-1) enriched with ammonium sulfate, and control (without fertilizer). Also, the plant density as a sub-factor was allocated with three levels of low plant density (LPD, 26666 plant ha-1), medium plant density (MPD, 40000 plant ha-1), and high plant density (HPD, 80000 plant ha-1). The results revealed that cattle manure and HPD increased glycine-betaine (GB) and anthocyanin. The maximum Carotenoid was observed at HPD with control and also in cattle manure and MPD. The highest total soluble sugar content (TSS) was achieved with cattle manure in the second year. The most remarkable antioxidant capacity (DPPH) was measured in control, LPD, and the second year. Also, increased total protein amount was found at MPD and cattle manure compared with LPD and control. This research could widely improve the current knowledge of management use of organic fertilizers and optimal density in Satureja bachtiarica species under dryland farming conditions.
- Alizadeh A, Khoshkhui M, Javidnia K, Firuzi O, Tafazoli E, Khalighi A. Effects of fertilizer on yield, essential oil composition, total phenolic content and antioxidant activity in Satureja hortensis (Lamiaceae) cultivated in Iran. J Med Plant Res. 2010; 4(1): 033-040.
- Amirnia R, Ghiyasi M, Moghaddam SS, Rahimi A, Damalas CA, Heydarzadeh S. Nitrogen-fixing soil bacteria plus mycorrhizal fungi improve seed yield and quality traits of lentil (Lens culinaris Medik). J Soil Sci Plant Nutr. 2019;19(3): 592-602.
- Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of proteins utilising the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem. 1976; 72(1-2): 248-54.
- Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset CLWT. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant capacity. LWT - Food Sci Technol. 1995;28(1): 25-30.
- Chen TH, Murata N. Glycinebetaine protects plants against abiotic stress: mechanisms and biotechnological applications. Plant Cell Environ. 2011; 34(1): 1-20.
- Clemente R, Paredes C, Bernal MP. A field experiment investigating the effects of olive husk and cow manure on heavy metal availability in a contaminated calcareous soil from Murcia (Spain). Agric Ecosyst Environ. 2007;118(1-4): 319-326.
- Dolatkhahi M, Dolatkhahi A, Nejad JB. Ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants used in Arjan–Parishan protected area in Fars Province of Iran. Avicenna J Phytomedicine. 2014;4(6): 402.
- Dubois M, Gilles K, Hammiltron JK, Robers PA, Smith F. A colorimetric method for the determination of sugars. Nature. 1951; 168(4256): 167-167.
- Emami Bistgani Z, Siadat A, Torabi M, Bakhshandeh A, Alami Saeed KH, Shiresmaeili H. Influence of plant density on light absorption and light extinction coefficient in sunflower cultivars. Res. Crops. 2012;13(1):174-179.
- Emami Bistgani Z, Siadat SA, Bakhshandeh A, Pirbalouti AG, Hashemi M, Maggi F, Morshedloo MR. Application of combined fertilizers improves biomass, essential oil yield, aroma profile, and antioxidant properties of Thymus daenensis Celak. Ind Crops Prod. 2018;121: 434-440.
- Gardner FP, Pearce RB, Mitchell RL. Physiology of crop plants. Scientific publishers; 2017.
- Ghiasy-Oskoee M, Agha Alikhani M, Sefidkon F, Mokhtassi-Bidgoli A, Ayyari M. Blessed thistle agronomic and phytochemical response to nitrogen and plant density. Ind Crops Prod. 2018; 122: 566-573.
- Gould K, Davies K, Winefield C. Anthocyanins Biosynthesis, Functions, and Applications. Springer Science & Business Media. 2008; 387pp.
- Havaux M, Kloppstech K. The protective functions of carotenoid and flavonoid pigments against excess visible radiation at chilling temperature investigated in Arabidopsisnpq Mutants Planta. 2001; 213(6): 953-966.
- Heshmati GA. Vegetation characteristics of four ecological zones of Iran. Int. J Plant Prod. 2012; 1(2): 215-224.
- Jiang W, Wang K, Wu Q, Dong S, Liu P, Zhang J. Effects of narrow plant spacing on root distribution and physiological nitrogen use efficiency in summer Crop J. 2013; 1: 77-83.
- Jogawat A. Osmolytes and their Role in Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Plants. Molecular plant abiotic stress: Biotechnol. 2019; pp.91-104.
- Khadivi-Khub A, Salehi-Arjmand H, Hadian J. Morphological and phytochemical variation of Satureja bachtiarica populations from Iran. Ind Crops Prod. 2014;54: 257-265.
- Li GX, Xu BC, Yin LN, Wang SW, Zhang SQ, Shan L. Dryland agricultural environment and sustainable productivity. Plant Biotechnol. Rep. 2020; 14(2): 169-176.
- Lichtenthaler HK. Chlorophylls and carotenoids: Pigments of photosynthetic biomembranes. Methods Enzymol. 1987; 148:350-382.
- Saeed B, Das M, Khurana P. Overexpression of β-carotene hydroxylase1 (BCH1) in Indian mulberry, Morus indica cv. K2, confers tolerance against UV, high temperature and high irradiance stress induced oxidative damage. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC). 2015;120(3) :1003-1014.
- Naguib AEMM, El-Baz FK, Salama ZA, Hanaa HAEB, Ali HF, Gaafar AA. Enhancement of phenolics, flavonoids and glucosinolates of Broccoli (Brassica olaracea, var. Italica) as antioxidants in response to organic and bio-organic fertilizers. J Saudi Soc Agric Sci. 2012; 11(2): 135-142.
- Najm AA, Hadi MRHS, Fazeli F, Darzi MT, Rahim A. Effect of integrated management of nitrogen fertilizer and cattle manure on the leaf chlorophyll, yield, and tuber glycoalkaloids of Agria potato. in Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 2012;43: 912-923.
- Pandey V, Patel A, Patra DD. Biochar ameliorates crop productivity, soil fertility, essential oil yield and aroma profiling in basil (Ocimum basilicum). Ecol. Eng. 2016; 90:361-366.
- Rahimi A, Moghaddam SS, Ghiyasi M, Heydarzadeh S, Ghazizadeh K, Popović-Djordjević J. The influence of chemical, organic and biological fertilizers on agrobiological and antioxidant properties of Syrian cephalaria (Cephalaria syriaca). Agriculture. 2019; 9(6): 122-135.
- Sairam RK, Veerabhadra Rao K, Srivastava GC. Differential response of wheat genotypes to long term salinity stress in relation to oxidative stress, antioxidant activity and osmolyte concentration. Plant Sci. 2002; 163(5):1037-1046.
- Saki A, Mozafari H, Karimzadeh-Asl k, Sani B, Mirza M. Plant Yield, Antioxidant Capacity and Essential Oil Quality of Satureja Mutica Supplied with Cattle Manure and Wheat Straw in Different Plant Densities. in Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 2019;50(21): 2683-2693.
- Salama ZA, El Baz FK, Gaafar AA, Zaki MF. Antioxidant activities of phenolics, flavonoids and vitamin C in two cultivars of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) in responses to organic and bio-organic fertilizers. J Saudi Soc Agric Sci. 2015; 14(1): 91-99.
- Shamim A, Rashid A, Muhammad YA, Ashraf M, Ejaz AW. Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) response to drought stress at germination and seedling growth stages. Pak J Bot. 2009; 41(2): 647-654.
- Surakod VS, Ashwathama VH, Patil MB, Patil PV, Muktumsab T. Influence of crop geometry (Pennisetum glaucum) R. Br.) on relative water content of pearl millet under dryland conditions. J Ecol Environ. 2017; 34(3):876-878.
- Tabrizi L, Koocheki A, Rezvani Moghaddam P, Nassiri Mahallati M, Bannayan M. Effect of irrigation and organic manure on Khorasan thyme (Thymus transcaspicus Klokov). Agron. Soil Sci. 2011; 57(3): 317–326.
- Umezawa T, Fujita M, Fujita Y, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K. Engineering drought tolerance in plants: discovering and tailoring genes to unlock the future. Opin. Biotechnol. 2006;17(2):113-122.
- Wang X, Ren Y, Zhang S, Chen Y, Wang N. Applications of organic manure increased maize (Zea mays) yield and water productivity in a semi-arid region. Agric. Water Manag. 2017;187: 88-98.
- Xu C, Mou B. Short-term Effects of Composted Cattle Manure or Cotton Burr on Growth, Physiology, and Phytochemical of Spinach. Hort Sci. 2016;51(12): 1517-1523.