Document Type : Research Paper
1 Department of Biology, Shahid Bahonar Univ. of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
2 Department of Biology, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
3 Department of Biology, Tabriz University, Tabriz, Iran
Satureja L. is one of the typical plants of the Lamiaceae family, and its essential oil has a wide variation of composition depending on the spices, growing area and climate conditions. Recently, Satureja kermanica (Kerman savory or ezgen) has been identified as a new species from south-east of Iran using morphological and molecular phylogenetic analyses. The essential oils have many applications in the pharmaceutical, food and cosmetic industries. The analysis and identification of the chemical composition of essential oils (EOs) was performed using the (GC-MS). Fifteen components were identified representing 99.6% of the entire essential oil composition, 95.39% of monoterpenes, 2.35% of sesquiterpenes and 1.86% of other compounds. The EOs of S. kermanica were dominated by the presence 51.30% thymol and 25.88% γ-Terpinene as major constitutes accounting for 77.81% of total oil components. The other compounds of essential oils were p-cymene (5.45%) carvacro (4.28%), α- terpinene (3.23%), (E)-caryophyllene (2.35%), β- pinene (1.75%), α- thujene (1.53%) and n-nonadecane (1.13%).The presence of thymol, γ-Terpinene, p-cymene, carvacrol, α- Terpinene and (E)-caryophyllene, as main essential oils in lamiaceae family, in this new species indicate to its significant activities in food, cosmetics and medicine industries.
- Adelifar N, Rezanejad F. 2021. A comparative study of essential oil constituents, total phenolics and antioxidant capacity of the different organs of four species of the genus bunium. Flavour Fragrance J. 2021; 36: 384-394
- Al Maqtari MAA, Alghalibi SM, Alhamzy EH. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of essential oil of Thymus vulgaris from Yemen. Turkish J Biochem. 2011; 36: 342-349.
- Alizadeh A. Essential oil composition, phenolic content, antioxidant, and antimicrobial activity of cultivated Satureja rechingeri Jamzad at different phenological stages. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C. 2015; 70: 51-58.
- Bordbar F, Payandeh M, Mirtadzadini M. Satureja kermanica (Lamiaceae) a new species from south-east of Iran, inferred from molecular and morphological evidence. Phytotaxa. 2020; 441: 183-194.
- Chambre DR, Moisa C, Lupitu A, Copolovici L, Pop G, Copolovici DM. Chemical composition, antioxidant capacity, and thermal behavior of Satureja hortensis essential oil. Scien Reports. 2020; 10: 1-12.
- Francomano F, Caruso A, Barbarossa A, Fazio A, La Torre, C, Ceramella J, Mallamaci R, Saturnino C, Iacopetta D, Sinicropi MS. β-Caryophyllene: a sesquiterpene with countless biological properties. Applied Sci. 2019; 9: 5420.
- Ghorbanpour M, Hadian J, Hatami M, Salehi-Arjomand H, Aliahmadi A. Comparison of chemical compounds and antioxidant and antibacterial properties of various Satureja species growing wild in Iran. J Med Plants. 2016; 15: 58-72.
- Giweli A, Džamić A.M., Soković M, Ristić M.S., Marin P.D. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of essential oils of Satureja thymbra growing wild in Libya. Molecules. 2012; 17: 4836-4850.
- Jafari F, Ghavidel F, Zarshenas M.M. A critical overview on the pharmacological and clinical aspects of popular Satureja species. J acupuncture meridian studies. 2016; 9: 118-127.
- Lombrea A, Antal D, Ardelean F, Avram S, Pavel I.Z., Vlaia L, Mut AM, Diaconeasa Z, Dehelean CA, Soica C, Danciu C. A recent ınsight regarding the phytochemistry and bioactivity of Origanum vulgare L. Essential Oil. International J Molecular Sci. 2020; 21: 9653.
- Memarzadeh SM, Gholami A, Pirbalouti AG, Masoum S. Bakhtiari savory (Satureja bachtiarica Bunge.) essential oil and its chemical profile, antioxidant activities, and leaf micromorphology under green and conventional extraction techniques. Industrial Crops Products. 2020; 154: 112719.
- Mohtashami S, Rowshan V, Tabrizi L, Babalar M, Ghani, A. Summer savory (Satureja hortensis L.) essential oil constituent oscillation at different storage conditions. Industrial crops products. 2018; 111: 226-231.
- Mossi AJ, Cansian RL, Paroul N, Toniazzo G, Oliveira JV, Pierozan MK, Serafini LA. Morphological characterisation and agronomical parameters of different species of Salvia sp.(Lamiaceae). Brazilian J Biology. 2011; 71: 121-129.
- Naghdi Badi H, Abdollahi M, Mehrafarin A, Ghorbanpour M, Tolyat M, Qaderi A. An overview on two valuable natural and bioactive compounds, thymol and carvacrol, in medicinal plants. J Med Plants. 2017; 16: 1-32.
- Pirbalouti AG, Moalem E. Variation in antibacterial activity of different ecotypes of Satureja khuzestanica Jamzad, as an Iranian endemic plant. 2013.
- Zielińska-Błajet, M, Feder-Kubis, J. Monoterpenes and their derivatives-Recent development in biological and medical applications. Inter J Molecular Sci. 2020: 21:7078.