Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Range and Watershed Management, Higher Education Complex of Shirvan, Iran
Traditional medicinal herbs are generally transmitted orally through a community, family and individuals, which is not documented. The present research was carried out with the aim of identifying the traditional application of medicinal herbs of Kurmanjis Kurdish of Bojnourd City for curing the diseases. In order to collect data on medicinal plants that was found in the wildlife ecosystems of Bojnourd; an investigation was performed. A questionnaire was administered only to people who had knowledge of medicinal herbs, through face to face interviews. After collecting the plant specimens, we displayed these specimens to the local people in their houses and farms. During the interviews, native names and utilized parts of the plants as well as information on the types of diseases treated using traditional medicinal plant species were recorded. In all, 201 medicinal plants belonging to 53 families grown in the study areas are traditionally used for the treatment of various diseases. The most common families are Asteraceae and Lamiaceae, with 25 and 24 species, respectively. Most of the parts of the plants that were collected consist of aerial parts, fruits, root, leaves, flowers and seeds orderly. The most species were reported to be used for digestive disorders, respiratory diseases and cardiovascular problems. Some of medicinal species in the wildlife ecosystems of area are endangered due to excessive use. The transfer of these plants to agricultural fields can be a great help to create employments and Protecting of these plants. The present study represents important ethnobotanical data on medical herbs which provides basic data for future pharmacological and phytochemical investigates.
- Akhani H. The Illustrated flora of Golestan National Park, Iran. Vol.1. University of Tehran press. 2005; 481 p.
- Amiri MS, Joharchi MR. Ethnobotanical investigation of traditional medicinal plants commercialized in the markets of Mashhad, Iran. Avicenna J Phytomed. 2013; 3(3): 254-271.
- Anee RSA, Sulaiman GM, Al-Sammarrae KW, Napolitano G, Bagnati R, Lania L, Passoni A. Majello B. Chemical characterization, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of the methanolic extract of Hymenocrater longiflorus grown in Iraq. Z Naturforsch. 2015;70(9-10):227-235.
- Assadi M, Massoumi AA, Khatamsaz M, Mozaffarian V. Flora of Iran. Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands Publication, Tehran. 1988-2011.
- Bhattarai S, Chaudhary R, Quave CL, Taylor RS. The use of medicinal plants in the transhimalayan arid zone of Mustang district, Nepal. J Ethnobiol Ethno. 2010; 6(14):1-11.
- Bulut G, Tuzlaci E. An ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants in Turgutlu (Manisa-Turkey). J Ethnophar. 2013; 149(3):633-47.
- Delfan E, Khodayari H, Azizi Kh. Ethnobotany of Native Medicinal Plants in Zagheh and Biranshahr districts, Lorestan Province, Iran. Eco-phytochemical J. Medi. Plants. 2019; 7(4):64-83.
- Deokar G, Kshirsagar S, Deore P, Kakulte H. Pharmaceutical benefits of Plantago ovate (Isabgol seed): a review. Pharm Biol Eval. 2016; 3(1):32-41.
- Ding W, Yang T, Liu F, Tian S. Effect of different growth stages of Ziziphora clinopodioides Lam. on its chemical composition. Pharmaco Mag. 2014; 10(1):1-9.
- Dogu-Baykut E, Gunes G, Decker EA. Impact of shortwave ultraviolet (UV-C) radiation on the antioxidant activity of thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.). Food Chem. 2014; 157:167-173.
- Dolatkhahi M, Nabipour I. Systematically study of medicinal plants in Bushehr province, Southern Iran. J Herbal Drugs. 2013; 3(4):209-222.
- Dolatkhahi M, Dolatkhahi A, Bagher Nejad J. Ethnobotanical Study of Medicinal Plants Used in Arjan –Parishan Protected Area in Fars Province of Iran. Avicenna J Phytomed. 2014; 4(6):402-412.
- El Astal Z, Ashour A, Kerrit A. Antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plant extracts in Palestine. PaK J Med Sci. 2005; 21:187-193.
- Ghahreman A. Color flora of Iran. Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, Iran. 1978-2002.
- Gharaibeh MN, Elayan HH, Salhab AS. Hypoglycemic effects of Teucrium polium. J Ethnopharmacol. 1988; 24:93–99.
- Ghasemi Pirbalouti A, Momni M, Bahmani M. Ethnobotanical Study of Medicinal Plants Used by Kurd Tribe in Dehloran and Abdanan Districts, Ilam Province, Iran. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2013; 10(2):368-385.
- Grieve A. A Modern Herbal. New York, Penguin. 1984.
- Hayat MQ, Khanma Ahmad M, Shaheen N, Yasmin Gh, Akhtar S. Ethnotaxonomical approach in the identification of useful medicinal flora of Tehsil Pindigheb (district attock) J pakistan. Ethnobotany Research and Applications. 2008; 6:35-62.
- HongYH, Chao WW, Chen ML, Lin BF. Ethyl acetate extracts of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) sprouts inhibit lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation in vitro and in vivo. J Biomed Sci. 2009; 16(64):1-12.
- Hooshidari F. Medicinal plants of Kordestan Province. Iranian J Medicinal Aromatic Plants. 2009; 25(1):90-103.
- Hoshyar R, Mostafavinia SE, Zarban A, Hassanpour M, Partovfari M, Taheri A, Pouyan M. Correlation of anticancer effects of 12 Iranian herbs on human breast adenocarcinoma cells with antioxidant properties. Free Radicals Antioxidants. 2015; 5(2):65-73.
- Hosseini SH, Bibak H, Ramezani Qra, A. Ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants of the South Kerman Eco-Phytochemical J Medi. Plants. 2020; 8(1):30-64.
- Hosseini SH, Bibak H, Ramzani Ghara A, Sahebkar AH, Shakeri A. Ethnobotany of the medicinal plants used by the ethnic communities of Kerman province, Southeast Iran. J Ethnobiology Ethnomedicine. 2021; 1-35.
- Jafari Footami I, Akbarlou M. Traditional and local use of medicinal plants by local communities in Hezar Jerib summer area, north of Iran. J Herbal Drugs. 2017; 8(1):27-39.
- Joharchi MR, Amiri MS. Taxonomic evaluation of misidentification of crude herbal drugs marketed in Iran. Avicenna J Phytomed. 2012; 2:105–112.
- Khazneh E, Hribová P, Hošek J, Suchý P, Kollár P, Pražanová G, Muselík J, Hanaková Z, Václavík J, Miłek M, Legáth J, Karel Šmejkal K. The Chemical Composition of Achillea wilhelmsii C. Koch and Its Desirable Effects on Hyperglycemia, Inflammatory Mediators and Hypercholesterolemia as Risk Factors for Cardiometabolic Disease. Molecules. 2016; 21(4):1-18.
- Korkmaz M. Dose-dependent medicinal effects of Thymus haussknechtii Velen grown wild in Turkey. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2016; 1:179-183.
- Martin GJ. Ethnobotany: A Method Manual. Chapman and Hall, London. 1995.
- Mohamadi N, Sharififar F, Koohpayeh A, Daneshpajouh M. Traditional and Ethnobotanical uses of medicinal plants by ancient populations in Khabr and Rouchon of Iran. J Appl Pharm Sci. 2015; 5(11):101-107.
- Mosaddegh M, Naghibi F, Moazzeni H, Pirani A. Ethnobotanical survey of herbal remedies traditionally used in Kohghiluyeh va Boyer Ahmad province of Iran. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012; 141:80- 95.
- Mozaffarian V. Trees and Shrubs of Iran. Farhang Moaser publishers. 2004.
- Ozturk S, Ercisli S. Antibacterial Activity of Aqueous and Methanol Extracts of Althaea officinalis and Althaea cannabina from Turkey. Pharm Biol. 2007; 45(3):235–240.
- Price M. History of medicine in Mesopotamia and Iran. 2001.
- Ramezanian M, MinaeiFar A. Ethnobotanical study of medicinal plants in Fasa County. Journal of Islamic and Iranian Traditional Medicine. 2016; 7(2):221-231.
- Rechinger K H. Flora Iranica, (ed.). (1963-2005) Vols. 1-178.
- Sanzo PD, Martino LD, Mancini E, Feo VD. Medicinal and useful plants in the tradition of Rotonda, Pollino National Park, Southern Italy. J Ethnobiol Ethnomed. 2013; 1-9.
- Sharafzadeh S, Alizadeh O. Some medicinal plants cultivated in iran. J Appl Pharm Sci. 2012; 2(1):134-137.
- Suleiman MS, Abdul-Ghani AS, Al-Khalil S, Amin R. Effect of Teucrium polium boiled leaf extract on intestinal motility and blood pressure. J Ethnopharmacol. 1988; 22:111–116.
- Yirga G. Assessment of traditional medicinal plants in Endrta District, Southeastern Tigray, Northern Ethiopia. J Med Plant Res. 2010; 4:255-260.
- Zargari A. Medicinal Plants. University Publication of Tehran. 1989–1992.
- Zeng Q, Jin HZ, Qin JJ, Fu JJ, Hu XJ, Liu JH, Yan L, Chen M, Zhang WD. (2010) Chemical Constituents of Plants from the Genus Dracocephalum. Chem Biodi. 2010; 7:1911-1929.